I got a text message from Jess today. He was asking me about my opinion for what color to order for roller solar shades for his apartment. He didn't say anything else, but that. I wrote him back, and said I missed him. He called me a "knucklehead" meaning that why would I miss him, since we are friends. Yeah, great friends!
I gave in to my urges. I called his cell phone number. He answered. It was early and he was obviously in the office. He was very cold, but lately he always is. After a quick and cordial hello, I asked him if I could come and see him tonight. Weird how it's come down to me having to ask. After this weekend and actually the last week or two, quite frankly Jess creeps me out. I'm really kind of afraid to talk with him. I feel like he doesn't like me at all. He asked me what the purpose of me wanting to come over was for? I said just to see him, and did I need a purpose? He said he would meet me on the street but that he didn't want me in his apartment. It would only be the same old thing. I asked him NICELY, (see what I mean about becoming afraid to speak to him) what did he mean by "the same old thing". Then he jumped at me and said, see what I mean. Its starting again! Then he said, NO, I don't want you coming over tonight. There is no purpose for it. I said okay and then goodbye and then we hung up.
About 40 minutes later, I got a text message from Jess. It said:
- Steve, now I'm concerned that I'm coming off as a huge jerk. I don't want this to be difficult.I just don't want to complicate things either. And it seems like when we've been together the last few times it has been really difficult.
- Hey -- you don't agree with my last text? I'm just trying to do the right thing here Steve!
- OK Jess,
- OK what?
- You totally hate me and think I'm a jerk. I'm sorry Steve. I don't know what the right thing to do is in this scenario. I just fear that getting together will be difficult and it seems like some space would be good. Am I wrong? If so, tell me!
- I think you are wrong Jess. But I won't keep trying to change your mind anymore. I think I'm worn down. Just be honest, no disrespect intended.
- No disrespect taken. Thanks for sharing your opinion.