MY STAT COUNTER

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Protests Presently Underway In NYC

I went downtown last Wednesday to Liberty Square which is a small park near the WTC and Wall Street. Since Sept. 17th there have been peaceful protests going on by a group who calls themselves Occupy Wall Street. Occupy Wall Street is a "leaderless resistance movement" spearheaded by activist magazine Adbusters. Adbusters, which has a worldwide circulation of 100,000 readers, is angry that leaders in the financial sector "have not been brought to justice." Their inspiration came when pro-democracy uprisings broke out in Egypt on January 25 and quickly spread to other countries. The organizers want people to swarm into lower Manhattan and set up camp for two months. The protesters' demand will likely be focused on "taking to task the people who perpetrated the economic meltdown." On Wednesday, day five of Occupy Wall Street, protesters peacefully walked from Wall Street to Liberty Plaza. The New York Police Department says it is prepared to deal with any situations that arise.

I spent sone time there. I wanted to photograph what was going on. The protesters were peaceful and friendly. I got a chance to actually speak to a bunch of them. Of course I brought my camera and took a lot of photos. The pictures aren't as good as I would have liked but they are a pretty decent documentation of what is going on there. As I said, I met and spoke with many of the protesters. I even photographed a few topless women. They were interesting to say the least; even a bit strange, but they were topless and what the hell. In New York it is legal for women to go topless; in 1992 the NY State Appeals Court ruled that women have the right to go topless, just like men. I hope you enjoy the few photos I decided to post here.

No comments: