MY STAT COUNTER

Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

Responding To A Comment

Hey there Wombat, I got your message (comment) today. Interesting how you were diving deep into My Big Itch and were checking out my posts from all the way back on Sunday, August 29, 2010. It's been over two years since that post was written. Glad you found me. Back in July of 2010, my boyfriend (Jess) broke-up with me in a really rough way. I haven't seen him or spoken to him or had any contact with him since his July, 2010 email telling me goodbye. I was overcome with sadness, not only then, but for many, many months to come.  My post from that Sunday in August, 2010 was just one of many where everything and anything made me think of Jess.  Again I was so sad; the kind of sad that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! That summer day I came upon a marble mural. The message written on it moved me. Keep in mind that I was pretty easily moved back then; maybe still am today. I'm a softy.  The mural was designed and installed in Manhattans Chelsea section, along the Hudson River Park; what was and still is a predominantly gay neighborhood. The mural tugged at my heart and although it was meant to signify the loss of friends to Aids, that day it signified the loss of Jess from my life.


This is what the Memorial says:  "I can sail without wind, I can row without oars, but I cannot part from my friend without tears."

Now come on Wombat! You've got to understand the significance of that verse with regard to the Aids crisis and how it speaks about loss and loved ones who have died. It's fucking symbolic! And that day, when I first came upon the Memorial, for me, it made me think of all the things that I have done in my life that were difficult and challenging, that I did stoically and with inner strength. But the loss of Jess, my friend (and boyfriend) was a loss that I could not endure without tears. Of course, on the level of the Aids Crisis, you can possibly understand that!!?  No? Yes?  And how I felt moved by it regarding my circumstances? No? Yes? I'm tired and going to bed, but I will re-post that image again for anyone interested in seeing the Memorial.

You're (Wombat's) comment said:

"I don't get it. What the fuck is that mural supposed to mean? It's not profound. It's the opposite of profound. It's inane. TIA for an answer."

By the way, the verse (above) which is written on the NYC Aids Memorial is part of a larger poem which I will write below. Good night everyone; good night Wombat... and thanks for your comment. It moved me to write this post tonight. Speak with you all soon.

Who can sail away with no wind? Who can row without oars?
Who can separate from a friend without a tear in my eye?
Who can fly to the top of the hill? Who can reach the sky?
Who can separate from a friend without a tear in his eye?
I can sail away with no wind. I can row without oars
But I cant separate from a friend without a tear in my eye.
I can fly to the top of the hill, I can reach the sky
But I can't separate from a friend without a tear in my eye!

No comments: